Re-Building a Conductor Training Program (Rules)
CN is a North American transportation company spanning three coasts with a rail network of over 21,000 miles of track. CN’s Conductor Training Program, a 7-week program made up of 5 weeks’ instructor-led and two weeks’ intensive field training, was in need of an upgrade.
The content was not up-to-date, the format was inconsistent with no standard content and/or delivery, and what was needed ultimately was a course that could handle an influx of young new-hire conductors with expectations of a more engaging, technology-based approach to training.
GP Strategies was tasked with re-building a new 5-week instructor-led training program, to be delivered with a 2-week intensive field training component.
The GP Strategies Solution
GP Strategies implemented a four step approach which included:
- Gap Analysis – This included a review of existing materials
- Learning Materials Update – Document design, a learning strategy (higher learner engagement, video in presentation, 3D graphics), the creation of a 3D library, plus a series of animations illustrating the rules and movement of trains
- Additional Courses Update – pertaining to Rules
- Enhancement of Learning Materials with Technology – This phase was developed over time and included a series of strategic program enhancements designed to improve the learning experience:
- First Enhancement iPad Pilot – This involved transferring approximately 25% of the learning materials to the iPad and to be used by a select group of students in and out of class.
- Second Enhancement iPad Pilot #2 – Based on the results of the first enhancement, a second pilot was commissioned where the remaining 75% of the materials were transferred to the iPad with enhanced train movement animations, custom narration, and immersive scenario-based learning activities including the Signals Challenge game
The ongoing process to re-build a new 5-week instructor-led training program, including an intensive field training component, resulted in the following:
- 200 hours of instruction
- 2200+ slides in 25 PowerPoint presentations
- 100+ activities
- 138 custom animations
- 49 audio clips
- 3D Library including one locomotive, cars, tracks and equipment
- Virtual 3D models of equipment for enhanced visualization