This large domestic pipeline company needed a solution to provide a structured training program for field personnel in order to comply with regulatory requirements and provide a consistent and sustainable employee development program across various geographic business units. The two primary drivers for the training program included:
- Establishing consistency between similar job positions in various geographic areas
- Ensuring pipeline operators were able to control their facilities safely within operating limits and in compliance with regulatory requirements
The company was looking for a “best practice” solution from a proven resource that complied with regulatory requirements, provided a sustainable program, utilized National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curricula, and provided a flexible approach to meet future needs.
GP Strategies Solution
Initially, GP Strategies™ met with plant leadership to establish an approach to the scope of work, determine resource needs, and set up the schedule/budget. After receiving the purchase order, GP Strategies assembled a team of specialists to:
- Develop structured tables of contents and training objectives for Operator Training Guides (OTGs) for 80 job positions in various regions.
- Coordinate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and other personnel from the client to identify resources to satisfy the OTG content requirements.
- Develop knowledge and skill-based OTGs for each job position.
- Identify NCCER training resources that could be cross-referenced to the OTG content.
- Develop objective-based evaluation tools.
GP Strategies used their established OTG model, an essential element of GP Strategies’ innovative Technical Operations Performance Support (TOPS™)—a set of training methodologies and interventions designed to provide a solid foundation of skills and knowledge. The OTG component of the TOPS methodology provides a structured step-by-step, on-the-job training roadmap and standard for documenting performance of qualification requirements. Historically, TOPS has resulted in improvements of these measurements by up to 70 percent.