Freight Company Custom Training Development: Certification Testing Program
A multinational company with more than 300,000 team members and around 10 million shipments for express, ground, freight, and expedited delivery services to over 220 countries and territories worldwide had a challenge they needed help with. What they needed was a partner that could provide equipment-specific training for their general technicians, sort technicians, and electronic technicians.
Their goal? To increase efficiency and minimize downtime. They were striving to establish a validated certification, particularly in the areas of hydraulics and basic electricity, as well as for the DC-10 nosedock.
The GP Strategies Solution
After consultation with this company, GP Strategies:
- Employed a content validity study to create certification tests for this project
- Validated certification tests on Hydraulics and Basic Electricity (in partnership with Ramsay Corporation)
- Performed additional work to address other equipment-specific training needs at the client’s Memphis hub
- Reviewed course topics with the client to determine specific areas required for each maintenance technician group to create a master certification program
- Assisted with the actual creation of the certification program standard operating procedures (SOPs) and the test scheduling
- After identifying all courses and course study materials, worked with the client to develop 11 additional validated certification tests and 3 master certification tests as part of the certification program
- Provided three full-time training coordinators and five full-time developers and instructors.
GP Strategies developed equipment-specific and fundamentals training for the DC-10 nosedock area, providing the technicians with the baseline knowledge and skills required to effectively operate, maintain, and troubleshoot the DC-10 nosedock equipment. Allen-Bradley PLC-5 basics were included as part of the fundamentals training, with emphasis on Rockwell Automations RSLogix5 PLC software. The client built PLC-5 trainers specifically for this portion of the training course. GP Strategies also developed other areas of equipment-specific training and general maintenance training.
GP Strategies developed and implemented training to over 180 technicians in just over eight months with a significant reduction in equipment downtime. The client commended GP Strategies on doing an outstanding job.