Emergency Management: Training Emergency Responders
FEMA and a Case Study in Training Emergency Responders
The national Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates ordinary people from all walks of life about disaster preparedness and weapons of mass destruction and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operation. Using the training, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event and can also take a more active role in preparing their community. CERT has matured and has a number of unmet training needs, including updating existing core curricula and providing additional curricula, course materials, and other web-based and classroom support.
The GP Strategies Solution
GP Strategies partnered with the national CERT Program on a multi-year contract to update the existing CERT curricula and to create new curricula. Throughout the contract period, GP Strategies:
- Revised CERT Basic Training to bring it in line with modern training standards and to update the content
- Developed a national classroom curriculum and training materials for a CERT Train-the-Trainer course
- Revised and updated the CERT IS-317 web-based training Introduction to CERT course with new interactivity and updated content
- Created annexes to the CERT Basic Training and CERT Train-the-Trainer courses on specialized target audiences such as teens and people with disabilities
- Created new supplemental training modules on topics such as emergency communications, animal response, firefighter rehabilitation, traffic and crowd control, flood response, and others
- Produced a quarterly National CERT Newsletter and provided regular updates to the CERT in Action! stories on the CERT website
- Developed a national curriculum and training materials for a CERT Program Manager course
- Produced four exciting CERT training videos
- Produced a CERT Liability Guide for use by CERT Program Managers; and piloted the CERT Basic Training, Train-the-Trainer, and Program Manager courses
Learn more about our Emergency Management Services.