Looking down the road, the year 2014 will be a year in which the questions and frustrations that business users experience will begin to be answered. With smartphones and tablets extending from the personal space and becoming nearly ubiquitous in the business space, technology will scramble to keep up. As a result, five key trends will emerge:
- The Evolution of the Learning Management System (LMS) and the Learning Content Management System (LCMS). The LMS and LCMS will need to evolve and prove their worth more and more.
- Anywhere, Anytime Workplace. Infrastructure, processes, and apps will come to the fore to better support the use of mobile devices for work.
- Mobile First. Content will be produced specifically for mobile devices, rather than making content meant for PCs and laptops “mobile-friendly.”
- Apps Matter. Business apps that mimic the specific-use nature of personal apps will come into more demand.
- Increased Leveraging of APIs. Application Platform Interfaces (APIs) will play an increased role in data collection and reuse.
What it all comes down to is supporting users that are more technologically astute than at times in the past. Through their personal use of mobile devices, they have come to expect a certain high level of features and functionality from technology. They want the same look, feel, and usability in their business and professional lives as they receive in their personal lives.