GP Strategies created a tailored version of their Leadership Essentials program based on Transamerica’s People Manager Philosophy, a set of fundamental principles, that defines what it means to be a good manager. The goal was rapid adoption by 1,200 leaders, including nearly 700 frontline managers and supervisors, distributed across a wide geographic area.
Leadership Essentials is distinct from typical e-learning in several ways. It is an eight-week, semi-synchronous, self-paced, time-bound leadership-development learning journey supporting cohorts of 75 to 125 learners at a time, allowing for the rapid, scaled rollout needed for Transamerica’s large leader population. Since Leadership Essentials is largely comprised of asynchronous components and is delivered digitally, it allows Transamerica to place leaders from across geographic regions and departments in each cohort. This contributes to cross-discipline collaboration and establishes a sustained network of leaders across the company. The program was built recognizing the need for human interaction, so the experience includes a professional leadership coach and an experienced moderator. Interactive elements (like discussion boards, scenarios, polls, and questions) are included every week to drive collaboration and peer coaching on each subject. This peer bonding is a key element of the program for Transamerica as they seek to build a more cohesive leadership culture across their large enterprise. Synchronous components of the program include cohort discussions with peers and the cohort’s leadership coach and two live calls with the senior executive sponsor at Transamerica to bookend the experience and build community.
- A 12-week development process with deep contextualization for business needs and learner personas
- An 8-week blended learning journey – with live coaching and peer interaction throughout
- 30+ customized communication pieces for learners, their managers, and other key stakeholders
- An average NPS rating of 57 (scores above 50 are considered ‘excellent’)
- Average self-reported engagement scores increased from 81% pre-program to 94% post-program
- Long-term engagement survey data show significant increases in manager effectiveness in those that have attended the program vs. those that have not
As a working manager, I don’t often get the time to read and reflect … I like the variety of information, assessment, reflection, sharing, quizzes …documents we can download, and interactive fun. Eager to see what’s in store for next week!”Leadership Essentials User